During ذEid ul Adha Muslims around the world celebrate these holy days through sacrificing an animal in remembrance of the story of prophets Ibrahim and Ismail, Peace be upon them both.
The sacrificed animal, or Udhiyah, can be a camel, a cow or a sheep. But many Muslims sacrifice a sheep in the manner of prophet Ibrahim (peace be upon him).
The Family team of OnIslam.net has tried to find the most delicious recipes for cooking lamb meat to help housewives and mothers with some variety in their Eid menus.
If you have your own special recipe go ahead and share it with us in the comments section below.
Grilled Lamb with Brown Sugar Glaze
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons dried tarragon
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 lamb chops
- In a medium bowl, mix brown sugar, ginger, tarragon, cinnamon, pepper, garlic powder, and salt. Rub lamb chops with the seasonings, and place on a plate. Cover, and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Preheat grill for high heat.
- Brush grill grate lightly with oil, and arrange lamb chops on grill. Cook 5 minutes on each side, or to desired doneness.
Indian Style Sheekh Kabab
- 2 pounds lean ground lamb
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh mint leaves, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup cilantro, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon ginger paste
- 1 tablespoon green chili paste
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- In a large bowl, mix ground lamb, onions, mint, cilantro, ginger paste, and chili paste. Season with cumin, coriander, paprika, cayenne, and salt. Cover, and refrigerate for 2 hours.
- Mold handfuls of the lamb mixture, about 1 cup, to form sausages around skewers. Make sure the meat is spread to an even thickness. Refrigerate until you are ready to grill.
- Preheat grill for high heat.
- Brush grate liberally with oil, and arrange kabobs on grill. Cook for 10 minutes, or until well done, turning as needed to brown evenly.
Arabic Style Rice with Lamb Meat
· 1 1/2 lbs finely chopped lean lamb or 1 1/2 lbs ground lamb
· 2 cups long grain rice (Basmati is excellent)
· 3 tablespoons butter
· 3 1/2 cups boiling chicken broth or 3 1/2 cups boiling water
· 2 teaspoons salt
· 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
· 1/2 allspice
· 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
· 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
· 1/4 teaspoon saffron (for color with chicken broth) (optional)
· 1/2 cup pine nuts (optional)
1. Brown lightly lamb meat in butter.
2. Add salt and spices and stir for 2 minutes.
3. Add two cups rice, stir and add the 3½ boiling Chicken Broth and mix well.
4. Bring to Boil.
5. Cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until rice is tender and water is absorbed.
6. Let cool for ½ hour and put in large serving dish and ready to serve.
7. you can serve with natural plain yogurt if desired.
8. in the meantime rice is cooling , sauté ½ cup pine nuts in 3-4 tbs. olive oil or vegetable oil until light brown.
9. Decorate rice and meat dish with the sauté pine nuts and serve.